Backus creates new support group
January 11, 2011
NORWICH – On Jan. 11 Backus Hospital will begin offering a new cancer support group that focuses on the psychological and social issues people diagnosed with cancer face.
“Diagnosed with Cancer? What You Need to Know” will be held the second Tuesday of every month from 5-6 p.m. in Backus Hospital’s main lobby conference room #1.
The psychological and educational support group for cancer patients and survivors and their families will be in conference room 1, near the main entrance of the hospital.
Each month there will be a different topic with a short presentation and then an interactive discussion or activities. There also will be time for general questions from those who attend.
Topics will include:
- Jan. 11: Setting goals or resolutions
- Feb. 8: Sexuality
- March 8: Humor
- April 12: Spirituality/Faith
- May 10: Dealing with depression and anxiety
- June 14: Handling fears, fear of recurrence
- July 12: Communicating with your provider
- Aug. 9: Finances
- Sept. 13: New season/transition
- Oct. 11: Handling fatigue and physical changes
- Nov. 8: Gratitude
- Dec. 13: Holidays
Registration is requested but not required by calling 860-889-8331, ext. 4239.