Sweet Scalloped Potatoes
December 20, 2011
Holiday meals are a wonderful tradition, but the calories add up fast. Backus Registered Dietitian Shannon Haynes shows how to make delicious and low-fat scalloped potatoes using a combination of red and Yukon Gold potatoes along with sweet potatoes which add a lot of vitamins to this dish. By using low-fat milk and low-fat cheddar cheese in the recipe, Shannon shows how to cut back on the calories.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin, first cold pressed olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- Dash sea salt
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Dash nutmeg
- 2¼ cups 1% milk
- ½ cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 3-4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt margarine and oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic is soft.
- Whisk in the flour and nutmeg until a paste is formed.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisk until there are no lumps in the sauce.
- Whisk in the asiago and cheddar cheeses.
- Allow sauce to cook over medium-low heat until sauce is bubbly and thick, about 3-4 minutes.
- Coat large 9x11x2-inch glass baking dish with olive oil spray. Layer the sliced sweet and red potatoes together along the bottom of the dish. Pour the sauce over the potatoes until each piece is well covered.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 50 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Take foil off for last 15 minutes to allow top to brown.
*Developed by Shannon Haynes RD, CD-N