Volunteer Program (Age 18 and over)
Volunteers contribute nearly 40,000 hours to the Backus Hospital on an annual basis. Will you consider joining us and make a valuable contribution to your community? We have a variety of volunteer roles with and without patient contact for qualified candidates.
- All applicants must provide references, immunization history to be cleared through the Employee Health Department, have a criminal background check, and attend a volunteer orientation.
- Flu shot is mandatory.
- Parking is offsite. The employee shuttle will drop you off at our doorstep.
To Apply, You Can:
- Download the Application for Adult Volunteer
- Contact the Volunteer and Guest Services Office at [email protected] or (860) 823-6320 to request an application.
- Stop by the Volunteer and Guest Services Office and pick up an application
When your completed application has been received by the Volunteer and Guest Services Office, we will call you to arrange an interview.
Junior Volunteer Bridge Program (High School Students)
The Junior Volunteer Program at Backus Hospital gives high school students the opportunity to explore careers in healthcare, as well as provide services to our patients and staff.
The Bridge Program Fund was developed to sustain that engaging summer program under the direction of the Junior Volunteer Coordinator. To learn more about financially supporting this fund, please contact Gen Schies at [email protected] or (860) 823-6331, or Mary Brown at [email protected].
The Summer Junior Volunteer Bridge Program, funded through donor dollars, provides high school students with volunteer opportunities as well as mentorship, career development and career shadows. It is our hope junior volunteers continue on to higher education or vocational training in careers they learn about at Backus.
Junior Volunteers begin their duties after orientation in June and can continue through the school year.
Application Process: Summer Junior Volunteer Bridge Program
The Volunteer and Guest Services Office will start receiving applications on February 1, 2018 for the summer program. Only the first 75 applications will be reviewed. Earlier applications will be returned.
- The applicant completes the Junior Volunteer application form in full.
- Parent or guardian sign the application, giving the hospital permission to contact the teacher or guidance counselor you have chosen for your reference.
- Attach a copy of your high school student ID.
- Attach healthcare provider or school nurse documentation of vaccinations:
- First and second MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccinations, and
- First and second Varicella inoculations or date of disease.
- Only complete application filled out by the applicant will be considered.
Up to 50 applicants will be contacted for an interview. We request that a parent or guardian be present to gain an understanding of our program. Be your best; we aim to make this interview as meaningful as possible, and encourage participants to be prepared.
- Provide a recent PPD (a tuberculosis skin test), or attend our PPD clinic at Backus in May.
- Attend the daylong orientation on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 (may be rescheduled to Friday, June 22, 2018 if the school year is extended).
- Volunteer one eight-hour day each week after June orientation through August 24, 2018.
- Commit to not be away more than two weeks and must make up those absences
If you have questions, contact Volunteer & Guest Services at [email protected] or (860) 823-6320.