Programs & Classes
People coming to Backus Hospital for cardiac rehabilitation and testing are entering a modern, spacious and patient-friendly environment.
Space is dedicated for staff to work with patients during warm up and stretching, and the equipment in the rehabilitation area includes stationary bikes, treadmills and a sit-down step machine.There also are locker rooms, with separate showers available for men and women.
Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Echocardiology, EKG and Cardiac Testing are all on one newly renovated, 7,400-square-foot floor, with a common waiting area and registration.
If physicians suspect patients are at risk for heart attacks, they may be sent for tests including:
- Treadmill exercise stress test
- Stress echoes
- MiBi, which is when a radioactive tracer is injected and it shows up on camera as it travels to the heart, to show how much blood is getting to the heart and being pumped. This can help diagnose coronary artery disease or myocardial infarction.
Includes a broad range of testing capabilities:
- Pediatric echocardiogram testing
- Trans-esophageal echocardiography, when a probe is inserted in the esophagus to take images of the heart
- Stress echocardiograms, which is cardiac testing with digital imaging.
- EKG services include standard and signal average electrocardiograms, a test that records the electrical activity of the heart. This shows abnormal rhythms and detects heart muscle damage.