Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Departments & Services
We provide comprehensive management for the most common endocrine diseases, such as diabetes, thyroid disorders, osteoporosis and metabolic bone diseases, ovarian and menstrual disorders, testicular insufficiency as well as more rare conditions such as pituitary and adrenal disease, high blood pressure caused by hormonal imbalances, endocrine glands tumors, etc.
As specialists, we see only patients referred by primary care providers and other specialists. At our discretion or the request of the referring provider, we usually take the patient under our care team for the management of endocrine issues.
The center offers specialized services to help individuals manage endocrine and metabolic disorders including:
- Diabetes prevention, diagnosis and comprehensive management
- Thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer: diagnosis, treatment and long-term management
- Hypo- and hyperthyroidism diagnosis and management
- Bone and mineral disorders: osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis and evaluation to tailor treatment
- Adrenal cortex diseases and other disorders, diagnosis and management including endocrine hypertension
- Pituitary diseases and neuroendocrinology diagnosis and management
- Reproductive disorders such as ovarian insufficiency, symptomatic menopause, hirsutism (abnormal hair growth in women), erectile dysfunction and testicular insufficiency, infertility
- Endocrine tumors and multiple endocrine neoplasia (functioning tumors of more than one gland)
Diabetes and obesity have become major health problems that require a comprehensive team approach.
The Backus Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism works in coordination with a team of professionals, including primary care physicians, ophthalmologists, nephrologists, cardiologists, podiatrist and wound care specialists, pharmacists, social workers, and physical therapists, to provide the most comprehensive care possible.
For individuals with diabetes, the Center will provide a better understanding of your disease so you can participate in your own care to obtain optimal control of blood sugar levels and prevent complications such blindness, loss of kidney function, heart attack, stroke and amputations due to gangrene. We accomplish this with a multi-disciplinary team (Board Certified Endocrinologists, Certified Diabetes Educators, Registered Dietitians and Nurse Specialists) who provide:
- Physician consultation
- Individual instruction
- Group education
- Support groups
- Medical nutrition therapy and weight management programs
- Blood glucose self-monitoring and continuous glucose monitoring
- Insulin pump
- Medication management
- Community education