Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Programs & Classes
Living with Diabetes: An Outpatient Self-Management Program
This diabetes self-management education program has been awarded recognition by the American Diabetes Association in accordance with the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs.
The cost of the program includes all of the diabetes educational needs (i.e. blood glucose monitoring, medical information, insulin injection instruction, meal planning and adjustment, and a follow up appointment.) The hospital business office will assist with the billing of insurance companies.
Offered every month with day and evening hours available.
- Gain an understanding of diabetes
- Develop methods of controlling diabetes
- Design an individualized treatment plan, which facilitates leading an active healthy life and reduces the risk of developing long term complications.
Family members and/or significant others are welcome and encouraged to attend the sessions.
It consists of five sessions.
- The first session is an individual appointment with the Diabetes Nurse Educator and the Clinical Dietitian.
- The following four sessions are two-hour classes with specific educational components.
- All participants have a follow-up three months after completion of the program in order to determine their progress in diabetes management and the primary care providers are kept informed of your progress.
“My Diabetes, My Vision”
The Sneak Attack of Diabetic Retinopathy
The Backus Department of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism hosts sessions geared towards people with diabetes.
For more information on the next session, call (860) 889-8331, ext. 4092